The District Nursing Service is for patients who are unable to attend the surgery or clinic. District Nurses work in partnership with patients, families and carers to:
- Provide skilled nursing care at home
- Promote and maintain patient independence
- Provide patient education, advice and support
District Nurses are also involved in running specialist clinics and provide education and support to nursing and residential homes.
The service is provided by a team of community nurses led by a District Nurse who holds a specialist practice qualification and is a qualified nurse prescriber.
The District Nursing team work in partnership with GPs and other agencies to provide a range of services.
District Nurses provide:
- Wound care including leg ulcers
- Continence care
- Palliative care
- Continuing care for chronic conditions e.g. diabetes and heart disease
- Acute or short term care e.g. post-operative advice and support
- Advice on benefits available